Tuesday, October 9, 2007

(Midnight) Blue in October

Believe me, I understand. Not every team can gauge their success at the end of the year by whether or not they have won the World Series. But call it Yankee Pride, greed, or whatever you want- a World Series ring is the measuring stick in the Bronx. And Yankee's brass and fans desire and expect no less than that.

Yes, baseball has crowned a new world champ every year since 2000- when the Yanks won their last of four titles in five seasons. And yes, that is great for Major League Baseball, competitive balance, and all that. And yeah, it's teriffic that we can go into Spring Training every wondering who will be this year's suprise break-out team... but guess what? I don't care. My favorite team has a $200 million payroll, and frankly it's embarrassing when they get bouced in the first round of the playoffs time and time again.

I refuse to listen to fans of other teams whining about the fact that they haven't won anything in years and years- if ever- and all the finger pointing that has gone on with it- the Yankees spend so much money on big players, they're buying their championships, it's bad for baseball, blah blah blah... If it was so bad for baseball, why has it been 7 years since their last title? It seems to me that spending all that money with nothing to show for it is only bad for the Yankees. If you own a professional sports franchise, you've got the cash to spend on upgrading your team if you so desire. And I don't ever remember seeing George Steinbrenner crying over lost greenbacks- just missed opportunity. And quite frankly, if I was shelling out the cash that he does year after year, I would expect the world as well- and would be outspoken of my expectations. He just wants to win at any cost, and has ingrained that into his team's fans' psyche.

I'm rambling. I have no grand plan on how to fix this situation. Part ways with Joe Torre, and you may lose some of the players that revere him. Keep him, and you may just precipitate a repeat performance of the past few seasons. Let A-Rod go, and you reduce the monumental payroll that everyone complains about- but create a gaping hole in your lineup. Sign A-Rod to yet another record-breaking deal and incur the wrath of all the whiners, further the lore of the "Evil Empire." All I know for certain, is that it's not quite the middle of October and I already don't care about the outcome of rest of the playoffs (except of course that Boston be ousted sooner rather than later): and I don't like that. Yes I'll still watch, I'm a baseball fan too, not just a Yankee fan. But it won't be that heart in my throat, pacing around my apartment excitement that I somehow enjoy. And say what you will, you fans of other teams who don't often taste the thrill of the ultimate in baseball- I get it: I'm spoiled, I'm arrogant. But guess what? I am a Yankee fan, and I don't care.

No comments: